Source

Source for:   Elizabeth Baker,   1760 - UNKNOWN         Index

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Birth source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.



Source

Source for:   Thomas Baker,   1758 - UNKNOWN         Index

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Birth source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.



Source

Source for:   Maud de Grey,   1292 - 1376         Index

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Birth source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Death source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Birth source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Death source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Page:   Database online.

Page:   Database online.

Page:   Database online.



Source

Source for:   Joan Gernon,   1328 - 1366         Index

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Birth source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Birth source:    S416
Page:   Manoral Documents Register

Text:   Lees Manor, Essex, England

GB/NNAF/M240323
BISHOPS LEIGHS MANOR
Great Leighs, Essex

Also known as
Bishops Lees (Manor)
Great Lees (Manor)
Great Leighs (Manor)
Lees Episcopi (Manor)
Lees, Great (Manor)
Leighs, Great (Manor)

[2014-08-09] http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/searches/detail.asp?SubjectID=240323&CountyID=297&FirstDate=&LastDate=&ParishName=&MDKeyword=

Birth source:    S417
Page:   Full text of "The history and topography of the county of Essex, comprising its ancient and modern history. A general view of its physical character, productions, agricultural condition, statistics &c. &c"

Text:   GREAT LEIGHS, OR LEES.

This is one of two contiguous parishes, about six or seven miles north-east from Great
Chelmsford, and thirty-six from London ; it is five miles from Braintree. The name is
from the Saxon leje or leaj leah, a pasture or unfilled ground, a condition it
undoubtedly was in when first so named. In Domesday-book it is written Lega and
Legra, and in old deeds, Leghs, Lighs, and Lees. The enti-ies in Domesday
relating to Lega, or Legra, are not distinct, from which may be inferred, that at that
time the parishes were not separated.

Great Leighs is computed to contain two thousand acres of land. There are Soil.
varieties of soil in this disn'ict, with a very considerable portion of waste ground.
Some parts are described as a hard gravel, improvable by a mixture of marly clay ;
some others present a sandy loam, fertile and productive, on a clay bottom.

GREAT LEIGHS, OR LEES.

This is one of two contiguous parishes, about six or seven miles north-east from Great
Chelmsford, and thirty-six from London ; it is five miles from Braintree. The name is
from the Saxon leje or leaj leah, a pasture or unfilled ground, a condition it
undoubtedly was in when first so named. In Domesday-book it is written Lega and
Legra, and in old deeds, Leghs, Lighs, and Lees. The enti-ies in Domesday
relating to Lega, or Legra, are not distinct, from which may be inferred, that at that
time the parishes were not separated.

Great Leighs is computed to contain two thousand acres of land. There are Soil.
varieties of soil in this disn'ict, with a very considerable portion of waste ground.
Some parts are described as a hard gravel, improvable by a mixture of marly clay ;
some others present a sandy loam, fertile and productive, on a clay bottom.

206 HISTORY OF ESSEX.

booiv II. The population is one hundred and six males, and seventy-five females; total, one

Population, hundred and eighty-one.

The owners of these possessions, in the Saxon times, were Edric, Ansgar, or
Esgar, Scalpin, Godric, and Ulmar; and, at the time of the general survey, they
belonged to Eudo Dapifer, Geofrey de JVIandeville, and Eudo, bishop of Bayeux.
This parish of Great Leighs has eight manors.

Manor. Great Leighs has a good mansion near the church, and was, at the general survey,

held by Eudo Dapifer, who died in 1120, and was buried in the Abbey of St. John's,
in Colchester. Margaret, his only daughter, afterwards conveyed this manor, in
marriage, with other possessions, to William de Mandeville, son of Geofrey de
Mandeville, and father of the earl of Essex of the same name. The under-tenants
of Mandeville were Tani and Bovill,

Robert de Tani lived in the time of William the Conqueror, and his successor was
Hasculf de Tani, who, in 1 140, had a great suit with Rualo de Abrincis, and gave a
fine to the king that he might enjoy, in demesne, those lands in Essex which
William de Boevill unjustly detained fi-om him. Rainald next succeeded; and to him
Gruel, or Grailand, de Tani, who seems to have been the last of the family that held
lands here. Otvell de Bovill held under him one fee, and three fees and a half of
the old feofment. He held also six knight's fees and a half of Geofrey Mandeville,
earl of Essex. In the time of Henry the Third, William de Bovill kept a court
ihere, and another of the same name held seven fees and a half here of Hum-
phrey de Bohun, earl of Hereford and Essex, about the year 1703, which is
the last account of the Tani or Bovill fiimily in this parish.

Humphrey de Bohun held this manor of Great Lees in 1361, and died in 1372,
leaving two daughters ; Eleanor, married to Thomas of Woodstock, duke of Gloucester,
and Mary, who was maiTied to Henry de Bolingbroke, earl of Derby, son of John of
Gaunt, duke of Lancaster, who afterwards was raised to the throne as King Henry
the Fourth, which event brought this and many other lordships to the crown, where
it remained, till King Henry the Eighth, in 1509, settled it in dower upon Queen
Katharine of Arragon, under the seal of the duchy of Lancaster, and at her decease
gave it to Sir Thomas Audley, Knt., who, on the marriage of his daughter with
Thomas Howard, duke of Norfolk, gave it to that nobleman. From this family it was
sold to Thomas Mildmay, Esq., of iMoulsham, from whose family it passed to
Richard Bayning, Esq., and from that family, by marriage, to Lord Dacre, whose son
Henry, succeeding him, gave it to his eldest daughter, Margaret, who was married
to Colonel Lanow. Paul Viscount Bayning eiFected the disafforesting of this manor.

Lions Hall. Lions, or Lions Hall, lias a mansion-house near the west end of the church. It
is supposed to be what is entered in Domesday under the name of Laghen-beria, at that
time in the possession of Odo, bishop of Bayeux. It is believed to have come to the

HUNDRED OF CHELMSFORD. 207

crown at the same time as the manor of Great Lees, and has passed through the CHAP. i.
same proprietorships.

Bishop's Lees manor anciently ijelonged to the bishopric of Norwich,* but was Bishop's
afterwards taken from that appropriation, and lias belonged to the families of ^^^^'
Miklmay, Shaw, Wyerd, Colleyn, ]\Larion, Mead, IVLto, Cheveley, of London, and
Mr. Ralph of Reine. The house, called Bishop's Hall, is in Church-end, near the
parsonage. https://archive.org/stream/historytopograph01wrig/historytopograph01wrig_djvu.txt

Death source:    S519
Page:   Database online.

Name source:    S519
Page:   Database online.